Strategies and Actions
Advocacy activities include:
- learning and working together with those with lived experience and other advocacy groups to increase social justice and bring issues to the forefront
- writing letters to the editor and opinion pieces in key newspapers
- using social media
- participating in rallies and marches
- participative action research
- becoming informed about political party policies and joining political parties
- meeting with your MLA or MP and writing letters to MLAs, MPs, Ministers, and Municipal officials
Advocacy can be hard work and advocates need support:
- Join CSWSJ, or other advocacy groups
- Form a group in the community or in your workplace
- Ask ACSW for support and training in advocacy.
- Attend forums, townhalls and workshops
In late 2012 SWSJs wth the help of ACSW organized a workshop on advocacy for Calgary social workers. Bill Moore Kilgannon from Public Interest Alberta was the facilitator. Bill has many years experience leading advocacy initiatives and gave us a power point summary of the workshop which is attached.
|File Size:||2479 kb|